Tim Tebow’s next to last start in the National Football League was a Divine 316 game. Consider these game stats on Jan 8, 2012 when Tebow’s Denver Broncos faced the Pittsburgh Steelers in a playoff game:
- 316 = total completed passing yards for Tebow in this game
- 31.6 = the average yards per pass Tebow completed
- 31.6% = TV audience share CBS network gained for the broadcast on 1/8/2012, the most watched wildcard game since 1988
- 31.06 = time of ball possession by the Pittsburgh Steelers in MM.SS
- 3rd and 16 = the only interception thrown in the game was on this down
John 3:16 became the greatest google search term the next day after Tebow’s overtime performance. Here is the beloved verse Jesus spoke to an unbelieving Nicodemus.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
What most moderns leave off is the continued statement Jesus makes defining what ‘believing in him’ is.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not damned [condemned]: but he that believeth not is damned [condemned] already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Now what’s interesting about this discourse with Nicodemus is that Jesus is talking damnation for those who don’t believe in his name. But how does one believe in the name of Jesus anyway? If it’s that important, then it seems that Tebow threw an incomplete pass by not referencing John 3:18.
Here is what scripture says is ‘believing’ in the name of Jesus:
- We must be Water Baptized in the name of Jesus to conquer sin and the grave [Acts 2:38, 8:12-16, 10:48, 19:5, 22:16 Romans 6:3-4, Colossians 2:12]
- The name of Jesus saves and means salvation [Luke 2:21, Acts 4:12]
- Calling on the name of Jesus at any time delivers [Acts 2:21, Romans 10:13-14, 1 Corinthians 1:2]
- The name of Jesus is invoked for Miracles [Mark 9:39]
- The name of Jesus gives LIFE, even resurrection LIFE [John 20:31]
- The gift of the name of Jesus is better than silver and gold [Acts 3:6]
- The name of Jesus is the name the Pharisees fear and hate [Acts 4:18]
- The name of Jesus causes us to be persecuted, cast out, separated, and even beaten. If we suffer for Jesus’ name, then we have been declared worthy [Luke 6:22, Acts 5:40-41]
- The name of Jesus is what we use to heal and do signs and wonders [Mark 9:39, Acts 4:30]
- The name of Jesus identifies those who are in the Kingdom of God [Acts 8:12]
- The name of Jesus will cause every knee to bow and every tongue to confess, that He alone is LORD GOD, thereby glorifying (revealing) that He is the Father [Philippians 2:10-11]
- The name of Jesus makes us whole, complete [Acts 4:10]
- The name of Jesus is used to preach boldly [Acts 9:29]
- Men hazard their lives for the name of Jesus [Acts 15:26, 21:13]
- The name of Jesus commands wicked spirits to come out of people [Acts 16:18, 19:13]
- The name of Jesus is beseeched to cause us to speak the same things, be in unity, bringing power [1 Corinthians 1:10, 5:4]
- The name of Jesus in water baptism washes, justifies, and sanctifies us [1 Corinthians 6:11]
- Thankfulness and Praise to the name of Jesus is the same as giving thanks to God [Ephesians 5:20]
- Every word of faith and every good work [given by the Spirit] should be done in the name of Jesus, thereby giving thanks and worship to God [Colossians 3:17]
- We are commanded to believe on the name of Jesus, as demonstrated by love for our brothers in the Church [1 John 3:23]
- Jesus is the name of the Father and this is the name Jesus did his works in [John 10:25]
- Jesus is the name that is hated by those who don’t know Him. [Mark 13:13, John 15:21, Acts 26:9]